top of page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

1. What is a medical hold and how can I get it removed so that I can register?

New entrants, transfer students or former students returning: once you have been accepted to Howard University and have paid your enrollment fee, you are automatically placed on “medical hold” until you satisfy the immunization and tuberculosis screening requirements. Only after satisfying all of the requirements will your medical hold be removed. At this point, you will then be able to register for classes. Here is some general information on "How to Clear a Medical Hold."

2. How do I obtain a copy of my medical records?

Students wishing to receive a copy of their records for their personal use must submit a written authorization.  Information pertaining to alcohol or other drug dependencies and HIV test results or treatment requires a release specific for that information. That means that you must spell out in your request that you would like to authorize release of that information specifically. All releases must be signed and dated by the patient. For further information, please call 202-806-7540. There is no charge for copies of your medical record unless you are requesting a copy of your entire chart. A processing fee of $10.00 applies for a copy of your chart. The processing time for medical records is 3-5 business days. Please access the Student Health Portal to request your medical records.

3. Will my visit appear on my school record?

No! All visits are strictly confidential and are not part of your academic record. Information in the medical record may only be shared if you sign an authorization to disclose protected health information. No one can access your medical records without your written permission, including University faculty and administration, future employers, roommates, friends or parents.

Frequently Asked Questions

4. Does the Student Health Center accept medical insurance?

Howard University offers students insurance through the United Healthcare Student Resources (UHC-SR) Insurance Plan. Coverage includes preventive and annual doctor's visits, access to mental health providers, referrals to specialists (copay required), hospitalizations, surgical procedures, diagnostic tests and imaging studies. Coverage depends on the specific insurance plan. Students who are not covered by the United Healthcare Insurance Plan are encouraged to contact their insurance carrier to verify their coverage details, prior to receiving Student Health services. Please visit and click ID card to see your card information. For questions about insurance services, please call 866-338-8632 to speak directly to the insurance advocate or email Please note all questions and information about enrolling into or waiving UHC-SR insurance are handled by the University's Bursar office.

Other Insurance Plans

Students with other private insurance carriers (i.e. Cigna, Atena, BCBS, etc.) can be seen in the student health center, but may incur various charges depending on the insurance plan.

Kaiser Permanente & Out-Of-State Medicaid Insurance

Students with Kaiser Permanente and out-of-state Medicaid can be seen in the student health center, but cannot get laboratory analysis, referrals for imaging, and specialty referrals. LabCorp takes DC, Maryland, and Virginia Medicaid 

5. Do I need a referral to see a specialist?

  • Due to a medical emergency. However, you must return to the Student Health Center for necessary follow-up care;

  • When the Student Health Center is closed;

  • When service is rendered at another facility during break or vacation periods;

  • For medical care received when the student is more than 35 miles from campus;

  • For medical care obtained when a student is no longer able to use the Student Health Center due to a change in student status, i.e. Maternity and Psychotherapy;

  • Dependents are not eligible to use the Student Health Center; and therefore, are exempt from the above limitations and requirements.

  • Dental Care provided at the College of Dentistry.

Students with UHC-SR insurance plan do not need a referral with the following scenarios:

For students with UHC-SR insurance, a referral is needed for most specialist. Please call 202-806-7540 to make an appointment with a health care provider at the student health center to get more information about what is needed. To locate a provider under the UHC-SR network, please go to

Students with other insurance plans

It is the responsibility of the student to contact their insurance carrier to find out when a referral is needed. If a referral is needed, please call 202-806-7540 to make an appointment with a health care provider at the student health center. Please note the student health center might be considered out-of-network for your insurance plan and they may not honor a referral from our office.

Students with Kaiser Permanente & out-of-state Medicaid

Kaiser Permanente and Out-of-state Medicaid will not accept specialty referrals from the student health center.

6. How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment, click on Schedule an Appointment or call 202-806-7540. If you need to reschedule or cancel, call the office at 202-806-7540.  

7. Does the Student Health Center have a pharmacy?

No. There are several pharmacies within walking distance of all of our campuses that accept most prescription plans.

8. What routine tests are part of health clearances & study abroad programs?

The routine tests that might be included with health clearances, and study abroad programs are tuberculosis screening (PPD or T-spot blood test), tests for immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, and Hepatitis B, in addition to stool cultures, and urine drug test.

9. I don’t have copies of my immunization records. Do I have to get all the shots again?

Not necessarily. For Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, and Hepatitis B you can have blood drawn to check for immunity with quantitative IgG titers. Upload the results to your Med+Proctor account and they will be reviewed. You will only need to repeat immunizations when you have low titers. Without a record of your immunizations most students will need to get a Tdap, and a Meningococcal vaccine. You would also need to get a PPD or a T-spot tuberculosis blood test.

10. What are titers?

A titer is a laboratory test that measures the presence and amount of antibodies in blood. A titer may be used to prove immunity to disease. 

Office of Health Education (Wellness Center)/Medical Arts Building
2139 Georgia Avenue, NW

HU Student Health Center

Medical Arts Building

2139 Georgia Avenue, NW, 2nd Floor

Washington, D.C. 20059


bottom of page